Filecamp Release Notes
If you're curious about what's new in Filecamp — and what's changed — you're in the right place.
We hope the updates you’ll read below make it easier for your team to share files and collaborate with your clients and partners. ✨
June 19, 2020
- We have fixed an issue where clicking on the logo in the header sometimes gave an Access forbidden error on Shared Folder links.
- It is now more intuitive how to save changes when you have edited tags in the Edit File menu.
June 14, 2020
- Download notifications - you can now choose to be notified either by email or in-app message when someone downloads a file from folders you have subscribed to. Read more.
- You can now toggle between files in your Search Results. Just double-click on a file and use the left/right arrow to toggle to the previous/next file in the search result. The Close button will bring you to the folder that contains the current file. Click the Browser Back button to get back to the search results.
- Email tracking has now been disabled on emails sent from our admin interface to your Administrators. We didn't use it and it made the links look strange.
- You can now use up to 64 characters as custom field labels on your Request Access forms. Read more.
- Our GeoIP legacy database has been updated to show you a more accurate location of your users in your Log.
June 7, 2020
- More options in the Bulk permissions update feature. You can now choose to update specific permissions only. Read more.
- The Admin > Shares section has been refined and you can now search for a specific share. Read more.
- When you click on the logo in the header you will be directed to your Home folder.
- Improved rendering of small vector images (sharper previews and better quality lowres versions). These new settings will apply for all new files uploaded to your Filecamp.
- Fixed a navigation issue that could happen when using vanity URLs on folders containing +250 files (pages).
- We have made it more difficult for Administrators to remove their own Administrator permission unintentionally.
- The used storage calculation has been made more accurate.
May 24, 2020
- You can now search for shared links in Admin > Shares. Read more.
- To improve overall performance we have set a 200 MB / 100 megapixels limit on file preview. Read more.
May 17, 2020
- We have made it possible for you to add a few custom fields on your Request Access form so that you can get more information about the people that are requesting access to your Filecamp. Read more.
- We corrected a bug that sometimes showed a blank page instead of the correct 404 page on expired shared links.
March 22, 2020
- Favorites are now deleted instantly when the favorite folder is deleted (and Trash emptied).
- We updated low-res downloads so that these versions are only generated if the original image is larger than 600px.
- We have made the storage calculation script more accurately.
- Your storage usage is now updated instantly after you have emptied the Trash.
- We corrected a Safari browser-specific/date selector bug.
- We have fixed an issue that could cause failed previews on versions of multiple page pdf files.
February 15, 2020
- We have made it easier to add several tags/keywords to a file (the enter tag menu stays active after each tag has been saved).
- New file types icons - we have updated our file icons to better reflect the 2020 Adobe and Microsoft file formats.
- "Never expire" is now set as the default value for all shared links.
- Better support for the use of underscores (_) in folder vanity URLs and search queries.
- Fixed a Gallery view styling issue in the Safari MacOs browser.
February 1, 2020
- We have released a Access Requests feature (Pro plan only) so new users can request access directly on the login page. And your admins can easily either Reject or Approve these Access Requests. Read more.
- Redesigned the Notifications window with more informative descriptions and dropdowns instead of radio buttons.
- Fixed issues with PDF page previews and renderings that sometimes could mirror a page when you zoomed in to quickly on a page.
- Warning when saving comments containing more than 512 characters.
- Fixed a problem with some unsubscribe links in notifications.
January 19, 2020
- The procedure for User Invite emails has been modified. Before both the username and password were included in the email. This was conflicting with some companies' antivirus/anti-spoofing policies. Now the email only contains a link where the recipient can enter their preferred username and login directly.
January 12, 2020
- We have developed an in-app Net Promoter Score (NPS) survey. We hope to get some good feedback here that can help us improve and refine Filecamp in future updates. We have tried to make this as non-intrusive as possible and the survey is only presented to Filecamp Administrators.
- All source code is now hosted on our servers instead of having tiny bits hosted on google.com and other services that might be blocked by eg. The Great Firewall Of China.
- The large preview zoom/toggle bar is only shown if there are more files in a folder/collection and/or it is possible to zoom in and out on the file.
November 30, 2019
- Replace option when uploading file and folders with the same file names as the ones that already exists in the location. Read more.
- Custom thumbnails are now retina/HD ready, and the optimal image size is 336 x 240 px. Read more.
- The shared Vanity URL name is now visible on the Admin > Shares list.
- Fixed a problem with the expiry date selection in specific Safari browsers.
- You can now navigate through older log entries using pages in the log.
- Auto-tags is now working again in all browsers.
- More descriptive log entries when editing files vs folders.
- WebDAV setting updates are registered in the log.
October 26, 2019
- Improved large preview interface with more zoom-, full-screen-, and print options.
- Overall performance is improved when browsing through folders and files.
- The info and comment window remains open until you close it, making it easier for you to edit/comment on multiple files.
- Improved search and sorting of search results by relevance.
- Confirmation is now required before files and folders are moved to the Trash.
- Reply-to-email address on notifications changed to a "do-not-reply" email address to avoid conflict with anti-spoofing policies and spam filters.
- Fixed a styling issue with the close comment checkbox.
- Tags/keywords with +7 digit numbers are now supported.
October 17, 2019
- When copying a folder, all folder settings are now copied over to the new folder. This will make it easier for you to make a "template" folder with the desired settings. Read more.
- The text from the text input fields in the file info window can now be copied, also by users that cannot edit them. Read more.
- Share Direct file links are now assigned to the Share files & folder user permission. Read more.
- Log in as works now with the Stay signed in option. Read more.
- When copying the Log as a CSV file (as multiple pages), no duplicate entries will occur.
- When copying a file to the folder you are currently viewing, the folder should refresh automatically.
- Metadata from images uploaded via WebDAV are now extracted automatically by an hourly script.
- The folder view is now automatically refreshed when you turn cover thumbnails on and off in the folder setting. Read more.
- We've added a tooltip over the close comment checkbox to make it more clear what happens when you check this box.
- More accurate and up-to-date Geolocator settings in the Log so that you can see more precisely where your users are located.
- You will now get a warning if you try to use the Log in as feature to log in as another administrator. Read more.
- Expired links remain in your account for 30 days in Admin > Shares, so you can change the expiry date to reactivate an expired link.
OCtober 6, 2019
- Vanity URLs on all shared links. Replace the encrypted text in all shared links with a text of your own choice. Read more.
- Better support for extremely large files (+3GB) upload.
- Spaces in usernames are now allowed.
- Improved the thumbnail (preview) procedure for complicated files.
- Quicker thumbnails (previews) of large (in pixel-count) files.
JULY 30, 2019
- Vanity URLs on folders. Replace the secure and encrypted default folder name with a text of your own choice. Read more.
- You can now search for a log entry in the Log even if the specific log entry is collapsed. Read more.
- More clear limit on how many characters (max 3500) you can enter in share messages.
- All Administrators will receive an email notification when your account reaches 80%, 90%, and 100% of your storage limit.
- Prevention for creating a folder name that starts with a dot, which causes problems for certain OS.
- Auto tags work again in all regions.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent custom domains changes to be successfully propagated to AWS Route 53 DNS service.
July 23, 2019
- Log in as another user. Admins can now log in as another user. Great for testing purposes and for helping set up notifications for other users. Read more.
- Your last used expiry date on shared links is saved in the browser cache, so you don’t have to remember to set the expiry date when sharing files and folders.
- Fixed a bug between that (in some cases) changed the expiry date on shared links to 1 week, even if you have selected e.g. Link never expires.
- We have now added a warning if you try to delete the file extension for a file.
- Support for longer messages (3500 characters) in share messages.
- Share pages now work again.
- Improved the Receive files without login (public upload) feature.
- Improved preview of CMYK images with embedded ICC profiles.
- Fixed a bug that caused people to receive upload notifications even if the upload was canceled.
JULY 10, 2019
- Contact sheet feature. You can now easily print an overview of all files in a folder or Collection.
- Faster previews when browsing through images in large preview mode.
- Bug Fixes
- Improved previews of certain .svg files.
- Problem with a specific Chinese character in folder names and missing thumbnails
- Shared links are now deactivated/removed right after they have been deleted.
- Double quotes in folder names could prevent thumbnails in being generated.
april 12, 2019
- Added support for pages on the user list for customers with +250 users.
- Go to folder feature directly from the corresponding log entry.
- An intelligent (AI) thumbnail generating priority system.
- External users can now also self-register to change labels (approve) files.
- You can now upload .webloc and .url files that link to other sites.
- Removed the option for Locked users to create Collections and Favorites.
- Pdf files should not be shown with cover thumbnails
FeBRUARY 20, 2019
Whew! The new Filecamp is here. We have been working on this update for the last 2 years. And we are looking very much forward to show you all the new features and refinements!
- New 100% responsive user interface
- Better performance
- More storage space
- Folder upload
- Easier user management
- Advanced search features
- Improved proofing/commenting tools
- More notification options
- More custom branding
- Bulk adding of tags
- More metadata options
- Bulk add and invite users
- Custom pages
- ... and a lot more.
"I'll be a Filecamp supporter for life!"
I just wanted to say well done! What you've built, or re-built was worth the wait and I couldn't be more thrilled. Really awesome job, you are a man of your word and delivered on every issue I had with the old version. I'll be a Filecamp supporter for life!
Tim Deasy, Creative Director / Founder, Standard Official™