Filecamp Release Notes
If you're curious about what's new in Filecamp — and what's changed — you're in the right place.
We hope the updates you’ll read below make it easier for your team to share files and collaborate with your clients and partners. ✨
May 1, 2021
- Improved Log Search. You can now use double quotes ("") to find phrases or words containing dots (.) or hyphens (-) e.g. "blue-sky.jpg".
- You will no longer be able to send an invite to a user if the user is Locked or has no folder permissions.
- To prevent Administrators from being locked out of their accounts, they will now get a warning when trying to remove their Administrator rights.
- Fixed a minor problem with png files containing only one tag.
March 14, 2021
- We have updated our integration to Letsencrypt so that custom domain changes should be propagated faster.
- Logo click now works for all users. Click on the logo in the header to navigate to the theme root folder.
- Renaming files improvement. You will now receive an error message when trying to rename a file if there is already another file in the same folder with the same name.
March 1, 2021
Change of Billing solution - We have switched over to using Stripe as our preferred payment and invoicing platform. Stripe is built for SaaS businesses like Filecamp and will give us a more streamlined, futureproof, and secure payment solution.
Notice: Some of our old (and most loyal) customers were still paying the prices we introduced when we launched Filecamp back in 2010. Starting from March 1, 2021, all customers will be paying the prices we have been listing on our pricing page since 2018. We hope that you will appreciate the extended time you had on the reduced rates, and hope for your understanding.
To simplify things we have also stopped support for 6 months invoicing and for billing in other currencies. All customers are now paying in USD, either monthly (by Credit Card) or yearly (by Credit Card, bank transfer, or PayPal).
We will continue to make improvements to our billing section over the next 1-2 weeks.
February 13, 2021
- Click on the header logo from the Admin section will now open your Files (root) folder.
- Users with download permission can now again download files directly from the search results list.
- Better support for various types of apostrophes in folder names.
- Fixed a problem that could cause problems when removing tags from mp4 files.
- You can now open comments by clicking on the comments icon in the sidebar, also from the folder view.
February 7, 2021
- Various UI improvements for mobile.
- Upload from mobile works again.
- The "No Label" label is now hidden from all files and folders if Label change is not allowed on the folder.
- Apostrophes in folder names could cause metadata not to be correctly embedded into the files.
- Upload of background image in Admin > Themes could fail when the color selector was clicked just before.
- An error page is now shown to users trying to access from an outdated browser e.g. IE11.
January 30, 2021
Major User Interface update - We have listened to the feedback we received since our last large update two years ago. We have now made it easier and more intuitive to select items and perform bulk actions. We hope you will like it (when you have got used to it).
- You can now bulk select files using the Select all option or by using keyboard shortcuts. This means that you have to double click to open files and folders, (like on any mac/pc) or click on the file / folder name in the gallery view.
- The Sidebar is visible all the time making it easier for new users to find the file/folder information.
- Commenting and Notifications settings have been moved from the top navigation bar to the Sidebar.
You can see a quick overview of the interface changes here.
This update hasn't any new features and the things you have done before are still doable. But this UI update was an important step so that we can continue refining Filecamp and developing new cool features.
All accounts have been updated and we will continue to refine the User Interface over the next weeks.
We promise that it will all be good, so please have a little patience 🙏
IMPORTANT: Remember to clear all cache so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.
September 26, 2020
- Search results - when you enter a file from the search results, you will now be directed back to the search results when you click the close button. Navigate to the parent folder from the breadcrumb on the search results list.
- Storage changes are now propagated faster.
- We fixed a bug that sometimes squeezed the preview when you zoomed in on large images.
- Slashes (/) in file and folder names are now replaced with hyphens (-).
- Remember folder view setting - when you eg. select List view and opens a file in large preview, you will still be in list view when you return to the folder.
- Remember the scroll position - when you preview a file and close the large preview window you will still be on the same scroll position when you return to the folder.
September 20, 2020
- Empty trash script updated - fixed a bug that sometimes caused the empty trash script to timeout before it finished.
- Calculate folder size script updated - fixed a bug that caused the calculate folder size to timeout on complex folder structures.
- The download arrows are now back on shared folder pages.
- Improved caching system - we are now adding versions numbers to our source code files to avoid browser cache issues when we release updates.
September 18, 2020
- User interface overhaul - we have cleaned up all code to improve overall performance.
- Toggle between your files in fullscreen view using the left and right arrow keys.
- You can now no longer change or delete the file extensions from files by accident.
- Improved overall mobile/responsive experience.
- Email "from name" - You can now change the "from name" on emails sent from Filecamp. Default is now your Filecamp subdomain (instead of the users email address) but you could enter e.g. your company name instead. This more user friendly but also helps to avoid problems with some anti-spoofing policies and spam filters. Read more
- The sender's email address is now again used as the reply-to email address to emails sent from Filecamp.
- We have changed the number of users per page from 250 to 100 in Admin > Users to make navigation between pages faster.
- We have disabled right-click to avoid the unauthorised download of preview images and thumbnails.
- More accurate colors on CMYK image previews.
- Quicker navigation between pages of users and all users are now listed in the search log and Bulk user actions.
- Improved auto-suggested keywords/tags.
- Quicker updated folder permissions/favorites settings when folders are moved to Trash.
- Users with permission to folders with different themes are now presented with the correct theme.
- The same number of characters in collection descriptions as to folder descriptions.
- We fixed a problem with our Storage Limit notifications emails, that caused the emails to be empty. So if your Administrators have received some empty emails from us, you might be close to your storage limit.
June 19, 2020
- We have fixed an issue where clicking on the logo in the header sometimes gave an Access forbidden error on Shared Folder links.
- It is now more intuitive how to save changes when you have edited tags in the Edit File menu.
June 14, 2020
- Download notifications - you can now choose to be notified either by email or in-app message when someone downloads a file from folders you have subscribed to. Read more.
- You can now toggle between files in your Search Results. Just double-click on a file and use the left/right arrow to toggle to the previous/next file in the search result. The Close button will bring you to the folder that contains the current file. Click the Browser Back button to get back to the search results.
- Email tracking has now been disabled on emails sent from our admin interface to your Administrators. We didn't use it and it made the links look strange.
- You can now use up to 64 characters as custom field labels on your Request Access forms. Read more.
- Our GeoIP legacy database has been updated to show you a more accurate location of your users in your Log.
June 7, 2020
- More options in the Bulk permissions update feature. You can now choose to update specific permissions only. Read more.
- The Admin > Shares section has been refined and you can now search for a specific share. Read more.
- When you click on the logo in the header you will be directed to your Home folder.
- Improved rendering of small vector images (sharper previews and better quality lowres versions). These new settings will apply for all new files uploaded to your Filecamp.
- Fixed a navigation issue that could happen when using vanity URLs on folders containing +250 files (pages).
- We have made it more difficult for Administrators to remove their own Administrator permission unintentionally.
- The used storage calculation has been made more accurate.
May 24, 2020
- You can now search for shared links in Admin > Shares. Read more.
- To improve overall performance we have set a 200 MB / 100 megapixels limit on file preview. Read more.
May 17, 2020
- We have made it possible for you to add a few custom fields on your Request Access form so that you can get more information about the people that are requesting access to your Filecamp. Read more.
- We corrected a bug that sometimes showed a blank page instead of the correct 404 page on expired shared links.
March 22, 2020
- Favorites are now deleted instantly when the favorite folder is deleted (and Trash emptied).
- We updated low-res downloads so that these versions are only generated if the original image is larger than 600px.
- We have made the storage calculation script more accurately.
- Your storage usage is now updated instantly after you have emptied the Trash.
- We corrected a Safari browser-specific/date selector bug.
- We have fixed an issue that could cause failed previews on versions of multiple page pdf files.
February 15, 2020
- We have made it easier to add several tags/keywords to a file (the enter tag menu stays active after each tag has been saved).
- New file types icons - we have updated our file icons to better reflect the 2020 Adobe and Microsoft file formats.
- "Never expire" is now set as the default value for all shared links.
- Better support for the use of underscores (_) in folder vanity URLs and search queries.
- Fixed a Gallery view styling issue in the Safari MacOs browser.
February 1, 2020
- We have released a Access Requests feature (Pro plan only) so new users can request access directly on the login page. And your admins can easily either Reject or Approve these Access Requests. Read more.
- Redesigned the Notifications window with more informative descriptions and dropdowns instead of radio buttons.
- Fixed issues with PDF page previews and renderings that sometimes could mirror a page when you zoomed in to quickly on a page.
- Warning when saving comments containing more than 512 characters.
- Fixed a problem with some unsubscribe links in notifications.
January 19, 2020
- The procedure for User Invite emails has been modified. Before both the username and password were included in the email. This was conflicting with some companies' antivirus/anti-spoofing policies. Now the email only contains a link where the recipient can enter their preferred username and login directly.
January 12, 2020
- We have developed an in-app Net Promoter Score (NPS) survey. We hope to get some good feedback here that can help us improve and refine Filecamp in future updates. We have tried to make this as non-intrusive as possible and the survey is only presented to Filecamp Administrators.
- All source code is now hosted on our servers instead of having tiny bits hosted on google.com and other services that might be blocked by eg. The Great Firewall Of China.
- The large preview zoom/toggle bar is only shown if there are more files in a folder/collection and/or it is possible to zoom in and out on the file.
November 30, 2019
- Replace option when uploading file and folders with the same file names as the ones that already exists in the location. Read more.
- Custom thumbnails are now retina/HD ready, and the optimal image size is 336 x 240 px. Read more.
- The shared Vanity URL name is now visible on the Admin > Shares list.
- Fixed a problem with the expiry date selection in specific Safari browsers.
- You can now navigate through older log entries using pages in the log.
- Auto-tags is now working again in all browsers.
- More descriptive log entries when editing files vs folders.
- WebDAV setting updates are registered in the log.
October 26, 2019
- Improved large preview interface with more zoom-, full-screen-, and print options.
- Overall performance is improved when browsing through folders and files.
- The info and comment window remains open until you close it, making it easier for you to edit/comment on multiple files.
- Improved search and sorting of search results by relevance.
- Confirmation is now required before files and folders are moved to the Trash.
- Reply-to-email address on notifications changed to a "do-not-reply" email address to avoid conflict with anti-spoofing policies and spam filters.
- Fixed a styling issue with the close comment checkbox.
- Tags/keywords with +7 digit numbers are now supported.
October 17, 2019
- When copying a folder, all folder settings are now copied over to the new folder. This will make it easier for you to make a "template" folder with the desired settings. Read more.
- The text from the text input fields in the file info window can now be copied, also by users that cannot edit them. Read more.
- Share Direct file links are now assigned to the Share files & folder user permission. Read more.
- Log in as works now with the Stay signed in option. Read more.
- When copying the Log as a CSV file (as multiple pages), no duplicate entries will occur.
- When copying a file to the folder you are currently viewing, the folder should refresh automatically.
- Metadata from images uploaded via WebDAV are now extracted automatically by an hourly script.
- The folder view is now automatically refreshed when you turn cover thumbnails on and off in the folder setting. Read more.
- We've added a tooltip over the close comment checkbox to make it more clear what happens when you check this box.
- More accurate and up-to-date Geolocator settings in the Log so that you can see more precisely where your users are located.
- You will now get a warning if you try to use the Log in as feature to log in as another administrator. Read more.
- Expired links remain in your account for 30 days in Admin > Shares, so you can change the expiry date to reactivate an expired link.
OCtober 6, 2019
- Vanity URLs on all shared links. Replace the encrypted text in all shared links with a text of your own choice. Read more.
- Better support for extremely large files (+3GB) upload.
- Spaces in usernames are now allowed.
- Improved the thumbnail (preview) procedure for complicated files.
- Quicker thumbnails (previews) of large (in pixel-count) files.
JULY 30, 2019
- Vanity URLs on folders. Replace the secure and encrypted default folder name with a text of your own choice. Read more.
- You can now search for a log entry in the Log even if the specific log entry is collapsed. Read more.
- More clear limit on how many characters (max 3500) you can enter in share messages.
- All Administrators will receive an email notification when your account reaches 80%, 90%, and 100% of your storage limit.
- Prevention for creating a folder name that starts with a dot, which causes problems for certain OS.
- Auto tags work again in all regions.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent custom domains changes to be successfully propagated to AWS Route 53 DNS service.
July 23, 2019
- Log in as another user. Admins can now log in as another user. Great for testing purposes and for helping set up notifications for other users. Read more.
- Your last used expiry date on shared links is saved in the browser cache, so you don’t have to remember to set the expiry date when sharing files and folders.
- Fixed a bug between that (in some cases) changed the expiry date on shared links to 1 week, even if you have selected e.g. Link never expires.
- We have now added a warning if you try to delete the file extension for a file.
- Support for longer messages (3500 characters) in share messages.
- Share pages now work again.
- Improved the Receive files without login (public upload) feature.
- Improved preview of CMYK images with embedded ICC profiles.
- Fixed a bug that caused people to receive upload notifications even if the upload was canceled.
JULY 10, 2019
- Contact sheet feature. You can now easily print an overview of all files in a folder or Collection.
- Faster previews when browsing through images in large preview mode.
- Bug Fixes
- Improved previews of certain .svg files.
- Problem with a specific Chinese character in folder names and missing thumbnails
- Shared links are now deactivated/removed right after they have been deleted.
- Double quotes in folder names could prevent thumbnails in being generated.
april 12, 2019
- Added support for pages on the user list for customers with +250 users.
- Go to folder feature directly from the corresponding log entry.
- An intelligent (AI) thumbnail generating priority system.
- External users can now also self-register to change labels (approve) files.
- You can now upload .webloc and .url files that link to other sites.
- Removed the option for Locked users to create Collections and Favorites.
- Pdf files should not be shown with cover thumbnails
FeBRUARY 20, 2019
Whew! The new Filecamp is here. We have been working on this update for the last 2 years. And we are looking very much forward to show you all the new features and refinements!
- New 100% responsive user interface
- Better performance
- More storage space
- Folder upload
- Easier user management
- Advanced search features
- Improved proofing/commenting tools
- More notification options
- More custom branding
- Bulk adding of tags
- More metadata options
- Bulk add and invite users
- Custom pages
- ... and a lot more.
Tim Deasy, Creative Director / Founder, Standard Official™